First team to 20 cards who also answers questions from 4+ generations WINS!
Keeping score: there are questions cards and bonus cards. Get a question card correct, keep the question card.
- Answer questions correctly without a hint: 1 bonus card.
- Answer outside your generation: 1 bonus card.
Example: If a Baby Boomer correctly answers a Gen Z question without a hint, she earns 3 cards for the round (check out the big brain on Ruby!).
Or, if a team of Millennials & Gen Z’s correctly answers a ‘Millennial’ question with the help of a hint, they’ve earned 1 card. Get it? It’s inside their team’s gens, and a hint was needed, so just 1 card.
- Take a stack of about 30 question cards from each generation. Organize the cards into 5 separate decks by generation. Shuffle each deck.
- Place the cards question-side down so players only see the generation, category and difficulty. Use this info when deciding which card to choose when it’s your turn #strategy.
- Set the gensmak bonus cards next to the generation decks. Replenish cards as needed throughout the game.
- The oldest player starts. Game play moves clockwise. Rotate the question ‘asker’ along with the game play so that everyone has a chance to steal.
- Steal: If a team or player answers a question incorrectly, the next up in play can decide if they want to call a Steal. If they get the answer right, they earn the card, but if they get the steal wrong, they lose one of their cards. The play returns to the team/player who would have gone next, in the order of play after the team or player who answered the question incorrectly.
The rules are enough, but if you are playing with Monica, she’ll want to read the rest...
If playing in teams, group the teams by generation and play Gen vs. Gen or play as cross-generational teams—Blend the Gens.
Keep in mind that with more generations on one team, there might be more horsepower to answer questions from 4+ generations. However, there are also less chances to receive bonus cards for answering questions outside of their generation.
Psst, psst… take the hint if you really don’t think you have a shot at the answer! If you don’t, someone trying to steal is going to run off with your cards.
And remember to take the hint if you have all 20 cards and you’re just working to answer the 4+ questions outside your gen (unless you are playing for pride, which is cool, too).
MORE SMAK TO COME!!!! Stay tuned to gensmak.com to find out when we release expansion packs for each generation and packs from our favorite shows, movies, artists, sub-genres & more.
Insta: @gen.smakFB page: gensmakTikTok: gen_smak